"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways saith the LORD."

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Change...

The "bell" that is used for "Kaptain Kristin" anytime she needs help.
My "brother" Steven being a goofball.
My "sisters" Sarah and Bekah.
When I think of change, sometimes I think of it as something that is for the better, something that will cause one to grow stronger and become more matured, but it can also be something that can be despised if it is for the worse.  Within the last few weeks, there has been a lot of change that I never knew was about to happen in my life. 

Shortly after the end of September and all of the birthday celebrations were over, my body felt drained. I can't sit still too long and the signs of a common cold virus loomed over me. I resisted it by taking lots of vitamin c tablets. I don't normally look at the clock every hour, but I was looking at the clock every hour so I would know when I needed to take vitamin c again. However, it didn't seem to help. By the end of Monday, only the first day of the week, I sadly climbed into bed realizing that I wasn't feeling very well, but thought I could get it under control pretty quick. The next morning, I jumped out of bed, got ready to walk out the door, sighed heavily, and called my teacher. I couldn't face the day feeling as horrid as I felt. However, the Lord used a special lady and her family in the church, to be a huge blessing to me. She brought over homemade chicken noodle soup and carrot juice with ginger. It hit the spot! But, that was only the beginning. This "common cold" went from my throat, to my head, to my nose, back to my throat, back to my nose and back to my throat once again. It was a vicious cycle. By Wednesday, I still wasn't feeling the greatest, but forced energy to come out of me. I loved being around the children at the school and it was my last week with them! :( It was also a day filled with some "excitement", if you want to call it that! A burglary happened right across the street from where I was living! I was approached by the police officer as soon as I got home from work. He asked if I knew anything about the burglary. I had no idea, but the thought of it happening across the street kinda freaked me out! I have a Heavenly Father who delights in watching over His children, surely, if this is the place He wants me, He will keep me safe. I've heard of stories like that, that happen to missionaries on the foreign field all the time. As soon as this happened, the musical family in the church sent me a message online stating that they had been thinking about asking me to stay with them for a little while. With the burglary, with the missions conference quickly approaching, and lots of music that needed to be prepared together, they thought it would be a great idea for me to move in with them. By the end of the week, I didn't feel like doing too much though. However, I prayed about the option of moving. I sought advice from my parents, my grandparents who live here in Klamath Falls, and some of my other close friends. The vote was unanimous, I was moving out! In fact, I was moving out THAT weekend before I starting the next teaching placement. Wow! This was too sudden. Number one,  I was missing the students at the elementary school so much! How was going to a K-12 school going to be better? After all, it was a Christian school, it had to be better. The thought of going to a the next placement wasn't on my mind too much with the move happening. Thankfully, with this family's help, the move went so smooth, I was out and into another room by 3pm that afternoon! That was a miracle! :) With the move, came an important prayer request. A prayer request that hasn't been answered just yet. However, I am so glad that I have a Heavenly Father who watches out for every need and whether I think it is a need or not, He provides what is for our best. 

As quickly as the weekend came, it left, and the start of a new week began. I found myself at the doorsteps of a new school. As I approached the band room, I was greeted by the band director himself. The first words out of his mouth were "We had no idea you were coming until I ran into your elementary teacher, Mrs. Hay at an event this weekend." I was dumb-founded at first. I didn't know what to think. I thought maybe there had been a mistake on his part. But, as soon as the other band/elementary music teacher came into the room, she told me the same thing. Well, I felt like I was off to a great start to the week! Not really what I expected at all. The bands at this school were amazing! There were only 26 students in the high school band, 15 in the middle school band, and 17 in the elementary band. The high school band knew how to tune and untune themselves. It was pretty amazing! However, I just didn't feel welcome, nor did I feel like I connected with either of these teachers. It was a weird feeling. I quickly sought advice from my elementary teacher, Mrs. Hay, on what I should do. Before I knew it, everything was planned out for me to switch schools. The best part was that I would be able to be at Mills again! I would not only get to work with the elementary band, but I would be get to work with my kids again! Upon arriving at Mills on Thursday, I was greeted in the parking lot with two 5th grade girls that ran up to me and hugged me. It was the best feeling in the world seeing these children again. They were so excited that I was coming back. I've never had that happen before. The staff also greeted me and the principal asked why I was back! Actually, he asked me that question with a smile written on his face. He was glad to see me too and I was glad to see everyone as well. 

To go through so much change all at once was stressful, but it was an experience I know the Lord had planned out. I have learned so much from each place that I've been to and lived through. I have no doubt that God wanted me to live at Miss Violet's home just so I could learn a few lessons in humility and how to deal with things that do not go the way I had planned they should go. I learned that "only by pride cometh contention" and I could control the way I displayed my attitude inside and out. But, I am also learning to be even more flexible. God has allowed me to be sick, just so He could teach me a few lessons in guess what? Humility and being sensitive to His voice. I have learned so much from this Godly family that I am living with. He has blessed me with three "brother and sisters." They have pampered me with cards, notes, and even a bell to use to call them to serve me. (they have no idea what they are asking for! :) ) They also have given me a title: Kaptain Kristin, captain of the Penmanship. It cracks me up every time I hear it! They tell me to use the "bell" anytime I am in need of service and security. :) But most of all, they have shown me what true service to Christ is. I hope that I can bless them just as much as they have blessed me. They will be moving in three weeks. It will be hard to see them leave, but we are praying that the Lord will open doors so that I won't be so lonely. I know I have many friends and family here. The Lord always knows what He is doing. His ways are always higher than our ways and his thoughts than our thoughts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment