"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways saith the LORD."

Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Wonderful Birthday Week


Wow! I can't believe how fast this past week went by! I actually can't believe that I have been gone from home for over 2 months! Time has flown by so fast! God has been so good to me. Words cannot describe how thankful I am to know that I have a God who knows and cares about each need that I have. I do not deserve it, but I am so thankful for the blessings that he provides every day.

This week was an amazing week! There were so many unexpected blessings from friends and family that wished me a Happy 24th Birthday. Being away from home and hearing from all of them made my day and my week so special. I guess I could say that I had no idea how many true friends and a loving family that I had. It proved to me just how much God has blessed my life. There are many people that do not have one true friend in their life and yet, I can say that I have lots of true friends in my life. I don't have to guess if what they say is true, I know that I can trust them. Friends will let you down, but I know that if I choose friends who have the same desires to serve the Lord, they will have the right heart attitude.

Wednesday was my birthday and it started with a "bang!" I woke up to a package from my family, just waiting for me to open it. The package came on Tuesday, but I decided it would be so much more special if I waited to open it on my birthday. I love how my family always looks for ways to celebrate, especially on birthdays. Birthdays are special times. When I opened the package, my heart was so touched. There were home-baked goodies, chocolates, and other neat little things inside. The cards from my parents and the singles ladies from ND church made me cry. I was so humbled immediately that my family would think of things that I could use here in OR. The words they wrote in the cards were so touching too. It was already a great day and it was only beginning!
Upon arriving to the school, I walked into the music room and immediately saw "Happy Birthday, Miss Penman!" written on the white board. On the table was a small gift. As soon as the music teacher saw me, she wished me a Happy Birthday and told me that she had one more thing she wanted to give to me. You see, we had a discussion about favorite pies and have been picking out music for the Christmas program this December. One song is entitled "Pumpkin Pie Polka." I loved the song because I love pumpkin pie, especially in the fall!  My teacher brought out a pumpkin pie and whipped cream just for me!! I couldn't believe it! She spoiled me too! Throughout the day, teachers would wish me a happy birthday and the staff shared the pie with me at lunch time. The band teacher at the school came in the staff room singing to me too! It was so memorable! I couldn't believe how many teachers wished me happy birthday and I had only been at the school for a month! While I was in the staff room eating, suddenly, the secretary walks in the room with a bouquet of flowers and a card all the while singing "Happy Birthday."  Who was this from? Who would send me flowers at school? Well, after opening the card, I saw that it was from my dear Pastor's wife who wanted to catch me while I was at school. She was so sweet and it was also another memorable experience.

Later that afternoon, a student walked into the room. She was holding a small box in her hands. She walked up to me and told me "I've never given a teacher a gift before. So, I am going to give you this gift, and when I leave, you can open it. " Then, she quickly left the room. I looked at the gift thinking "This isn't happening, is it? I really have a student that remembered my birthday?" I opened the gift and this is what I found: Seashells and a pair of earrings." It touched me heart. You see, these children do not have much. Some do not have a decent home life or a proper home to live in. So, I can imagine that this child gave something that was dear to her. She wanted to give me something that would cost her something. How amazing is that? How privileged I felt.



On Friday, I opened a card sent from "my girls", the Daughters of Virtue at the church in Grand Forks, ND. It was a blessing seeing pictures of them and knowing that they are all doing well and somehow, they remembered me on my birthday. How sweet and thoughtful they were to me. In the evening, I was invited to a dear family that attends the church I attend here in Klamath Falls. They are the musical family that I spend a lot of time with each week. They wanted to celebrate my birthday too. They spoiled me rotten!! Look at the beautiful cheesecakes they made! They also presented me with other birthday gifts and  Starbucks coffee ice cream! Yum!! They were such a blessing to me. Words cannot express how much their hospitality and love meant to me. I am reminded how much God knows just what we need at just the right times.




 On Saturday evening, I was invited to spend the evening with my family, celebrating my birthday. They were a blessing to me too! My grandparents, cousins, and some of my cousin's extended family came over to help celebrate. We had lasagna, fresh rolls, and a delicious chocolate cake with homemade vanilla bean ice cream! All was homemade and delicious! My cousin Anna made me feel so special. She just has a way about her that makes anyone feel extra special on their special days. :)


Birthday Goodies :)
Thank YOU Lord for the blessing of friends and family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment